Saturday, September 8, 2018

Pit Bulls and Presidents


I’m a dog lover.  But.

I’m the kind of dog lover who takes his Dachshund to the dog park and, upon seeing a Pit Bull running loose off leash, turns around and leaves.  Too risky, in my judgment.

Truth be told, I know there are some Pit Bulls that are perfectly safe to be around.   I’ve never owned or wanted to own a Pit but I have nothing against the breed itself.  I just don’t trust the people who do want to own a Pit Bull.   Call it my prejudice, or whatever.  Just saying.  I’m more leery of that breed of owner than I am that breed of dog. 

On a few happy occasions, I have met Pit Bull owners who were very loving and highly responsible.  They rescued or adopted a Pit and have one of the most loving and loyal dogs I’ve ever seen.     

But then on several more occasions, I have met Pit owners who had very different motives in mind.   They were afraid.  They wanted a dog who would fight for and protect them.  Love was not their aim; rather, it was self-protection. Their choice of breed was all about fear, not love.  And, hence, their dog was far more scary than loving.

Which reminds me of Donald Trump and the people who chose to vote for him as their President.     

No doubt some people chose Trump for the same reason they might rescue a Pit Bull.   They believed he could be reformed and could make a good pet.   Would be trainable.  Was smart.  Would learn on the job.   Would make a good president.

But then here comes my prejudice.  

Based on my experience, on far more occasions I have found Trump owners to have very different motives in mind.  They were afraid.  They wanted a president who would fight for and protect them.  Love was not their aim; rather, self-protection.   Their choice of president was all about fear, not love.  And, hence, their president is far more scary than loving.  

You see, in my humble opinion, governments are like public dog parks.   Leaders are like alpha dogs.   My dog and I have as much right as anyone to be in this public place.   My tax dollars help pay for this park.   But there are times when our own government is one where I’d prefer to just take my dog, turn around, and leave.   Alpha dogs that are unleashed are like unaccountable politicians.   Pit Bulls are like Presidents.   And I want to leave not because of the other dogs so much as the other owners.   They are the ones I have the hardest time trusting.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

No comments:

Post a Comment